These are delicious and no added sugar biscotti. I use spelt flour to make them as it is my favorite all purpose flour at the moment.
- 250g whole spelt flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 75g finely chopped dates
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g chopped filberts (hazelnuts)
- 1 large lemon, finely grated zest only
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Mix together the flour and baking powder in a bowl and add the eggs slowly to make a dough. Mix in the filberts and lemon zest.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the mixture gently and divide into 2. Roll into logs, each approximately 10in long. Place on the lined baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly, then cut each log into ¾in thick slices. Lay the slices on the baking tray.
- Return the tray to the oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes, turn over and continue to bake for another 5-7 minutes until golden-brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.