This amount serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side dish.
- 1 cup of dried chick peas soaked overnight
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 2 green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1 teaspoon of dried pomegranate seed powder (anardana)
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Cook the chick peas in a pressure cooker for 12 minutes until they are soft. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. Cook until they begin to sizzle. Add the onions, green chili peppers, and ginger/garlic paste and fry until lightly browned. Stir in the salt and other spices and stir. Fry for a few seconds. Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato puree. Cook for a few minutes. Add the chick peas and about a cup of water. Let the curry cook for about 8-10 minutes more on a low heat.
Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve with brown rice or naan bread.