- ¼ cup roasted, skinless peanuts
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil,
- 12 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, quartered
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1″ piece ginger, peeled, grated
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced into rings, rinsed, drained
- 1 red chili, sliced
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon vegan fish sauce
- ¼ head of green cabbage, halved crosswise, leaves separated
- Lime wedges (for serving)
Coarsely chop or crush the peanuts into small pieces; set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, undisturbed, until the bottoms are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Toss and continue to cook, tossing occasionally and reducing heat as needed to avoid scorching, until golden brown all over, about 4 minutes more. Add scallions, garlic, and ginger, followed by the remaining oil, and cook, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; season lightly with salt. Mix in shallot, chili, mint, vegan fish sauce, and half of peanuts. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
Transfer the larb to a large bowl. Serve with cabbage, lime wedges, and remaining peanuts alongside.