This makes about 20 cookies depending on how big you make them.
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax mixed with 6 tablespoons of warm water in a small bowl
- 200g of vegan butter
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons of date sugar or 2 dates finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of soy or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 300g of wholewheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl or mixer cream the vegan butter, almonds and date sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the flax and vanilla extract. Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder and salt. Roll up a tablespoon of mixture into a ball place it on the baking sheet and then press and flatten into a cookie shape with a fork. Repeat until all the dough is used up, spacing the cookies about an inch apart (they won’t change much in size in the oven). Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely and then keep the cookies in the fridge. The are best enjoyed after a couple of hours in the fridge.