Ingredients for 4 people
Tofu & Marinade
- 14 oz block of firm tofu, sliced to approximately 1″x 4″ pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons of mustard
- 1 teaspoon of date syrup
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 a shallot, finely chopped or if in season 4 or 5 fresh garlic scapes, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 hot chili pepper, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Organic corn soft tacos (2 or 3 per person)
- Vegan cheese (2 or 3 slices per person) I like to use Jalapeno Havarti
Combine the marinade ingredients (mustard, date syrup and olive oil) and marinate the tofu slices for at least an hour.
Heat the oven to 400F. Arrange the sliced onion on a baking tray. Add some salt and pepper. Arrange the tofu pieces on top of the onion with any marinade poured over and roast for 30-40 minutes until the onion is cooked.
While the onions and tofu are cooking make the mango salsa. Add the lime juice and salt to the shallots and mix. Leave for about 10 minutes before adding all the other ingredients. Stir well.
Heat up the tacos on a griddle pan for a minute each side. Assemble the tacos with some roasted onion and tofu, a slice of cheese and a heaped spoonful of mango salsa. You can also put all the ingredients on the table and let guests assemble themselves.