Black-eyed peas are delicious and nutritious. They are eaten for luck at the New Year. I recommend eating them for health all year round. This recipe is enough for 4-6 people.
- 2 cups of black-eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- I large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon of asafetida
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 cans of tomatoes or about 10 chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro to garnish
Pick over the dried peas removing any small rocks or debris. Rinse the peas. Soak for about 8 hours. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the cumin and cook for another minute. Add the asafetida, ginger and garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the peas and all the other ingredients. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a gentle boil. Cover and simmer for 30 to 60 minutes until the peas are soft. Check seasoning and serve. Alternatively you can cook in a pressure cooker for about 7 minutes and then allow the pressure to come down naturally. Garnish with cilantro and serve with brown rice or bread.