This 100% from plants cake is moist and delicious. And it’s low on sugar with none added besides the sugar from chocolate.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of oat flour
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut or almond flour
- 1/4 cup of date sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 flax eggs ( each egg is 1 tablespoon of flax meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of warm water)
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup of soy milk
- 3 medium beets (pre-cooked by roasting for 45 minutes at 350F then peeled and pureed).
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Chocolate Cream topping ingredients
- 2 ripe avocados (pitted, halved and peeled)
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Grease and line a 7 inch cake tin. In a bowl, stir together the flours, desiccated coconut, date sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Add all the other ingredients (flax eggs, coconut oil, soy milk, pureed beets) and stir well together. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the tin before turning it out.
To make the chocolate cream topping, gently melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of warm water. Add the honey, vanilla, coconut oil and salt to the melted chocolate and stir until all the ingredients are melted together. Puree the avocados until they are smooth in a food processor, then add the melted chocolate mixture and puree again.
Spread the chocolate cream on top of the cake when the cake is cooled.